Saturday, January 8, 2011

Life lessons learned from Comedy


As many of you know..my name is Preach the Comedian. I did not choose that name by chance. I am a stand up comedian by trade. I slang jokes for a living in addition to having a regular job. During this process in my life going from the funny dude at a party to the funny guy on stage I have learned some things.  The lessons I have learned have been easily used in my personal life as well as my professional life.  So I wanted to share what I learned in hopes it can be a blessing to somebody out there.

1.       LIFE IS A MAFIA FAMILY:  In comedy except for the top 1% of nationally known comics, every state and region is built on a mafia family system. There’s a head of each state that like it or not you have to respect. Showing respect means going on dead last at 2 in the morning or going on first when there’s 4 people in a crowd.  Like in life you got to learn to eat sh%t and like the taste of it at times. Nobody is going to co-sign on somebody who never earned their keep in the family. The reason so many unfunny comedians are out here is that they are “made men”.  meaning their close to a big name and will always get work. In life you got to know when to be a loner and when to align yourself with more powerful people. Everybody is connected and you never know who’s watching. I’ve seen people get gigs because somebody they didn’t know was watching them was looking at them.

2.       PAYBACKS A MUTHA(SHUT YO MOUTH): As shown in the previous lesson being a head of state or region comes with a certain amount of power. The power to pull someone up from the trenches of smoke filled bars to actual clubs where you make pay role. Or the power to blackball you and make success very hard. There’s many a comedian that is out the game for disrespecting the wrong person. This attitude comes from when people were nobodies and the old heads messed them over. The people you step on going up are the same ones you beg favors from when your on the way down.

3.       RESPECT THE GAME:  Anytime I tell someone I am a comedian the first thing they  always say is “tell me a joke” .  I had to learn thru trial and error that you should never tell a joke when asked by strangers. That’s disrespectful to the game. Never let someone get something for free when they can pay for it. You HAVE to value your talents to a point that people are willing to pay for your services. Giving out free samples is  for freshman.  You have to graduate in the game sometime. I’ve performed for FREE in clubs, rooms, bars, strip clubs, restaurants, a DOORWAY… ill be damned if imma going to give you a free sample just to prove I’m funny. Only thing free in this world is air so keep on breathing.

4.       GOODBYE MR. ME TOO: Comedy is an art not a science. There’s no exact way to be funny. However people think that just because they can make their cousins laugh at a BBQ they can get onstage and do what I do. When I tell a joke I am using a formula to give you a piece of my psyche.  It is not a easy task and must be respected as such. The most annoying thing in the world are people who claim to do what you can do. If it was that easy everybody would do it.  Life is nothing but a put up or shut up game. Don’t sit on the couch saying you can do the same thing. Don’t be a Mr. Me Too.  Get in where you fit in.

5.       IT AINT WHERE YOU FROM ITS WHERE YOU AT: In most comedy circuits you clubs and rooms. Clubs are places where people PAY to see comedians. Rooms are places that just so happen to have comedy on Thursday nights(i.e. bars, restaurants, strip clubs).  In a club people have paid money so they WANT to laugh. Which means you can do mediocre material and get a lot of laughs. Rooms tend to be free so people are hostile. You have to earn your laughter. In life you have to be able to adjust to your surroundings. Everyday is a totally new experience.  Yesterdays success does not mean anything today. In every situation one walks into you have to learn to read the room. Reading the room is essential to a comedian. It tells you what jokes will work and what should not be done. Most jobs I’ve gotten I got more off my ability to read the interviewer and adjust my answers.  Adjustment is the lifeblood of success. Just know that yesterdays adjustment is not todays.

No comments:

Post a Comment